Subject: Re: easy ways to crash your NetBSD system
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: current-users
Date: 04/05/1996 09:08:45
On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, der Mouse wrote:

| >> Two easy ways to crash a NetBSD system - is it only my system or...?
| >> 1. main(void) { while(1) fork(); }
|
| (heh, what UNIX-alike won't?)

Lots of them have trouble dealing with this one, sure -- but that
doesn't make it right.  Per user and total system limits (with an
extra allowance for root on console) should enforce a situation where,
even if the system administrator has been too "nice" and allowed users
too wide a berth, the system should at the worst get really sluggish.
It can teeter on the brink of catatonia for all I care, as long as
root can log in on the console and eventually get the system back
under control.

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo