Subject: Re: easy ways to crash your NetBSD system
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/04/1996 10:40:21
>> Two easy ways to crash a NetBSD system - is it only my system or...?
>> 1. main(void) { while(1) fork(); }

(heh, what UNIX-alike won't?)

>> 2. use dd to copy data from a raw disk partition to /dev/null and
>> set the block size to a big value (like 8 megs).
> Not to be an extreme picker of nits [...], but since when does the
> average sysadmin leave raw disk partitions world readable?

That's no excuse for it to panic the kernel.  Lotsa places have disk
readable by non-root, usually something like mode 640 root.operator.
There is some justice to arguing that it's not that much of a surprise
for root to be able to crash the system, but not by doing nothing but
reading raw disk with dd, _especially_ if it happens regardless of
who's doing the reading.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu