Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: None <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: current-users
Date: 04/04/1996 12:21:49
> 	rc.local would run
>
> 	if [ -d /etc/rc.d ]; then
> 		(cd /etc/rc.d
> 		 for file in S*; do
> 		 sh $file start; done); fi

This does not cater for shutdown script runs, which is most
likely a show-stopper of this proposal.

I mean: if we are going to change to an init.d-style startup
process, we might as well add the common extra feature of having
shutdown scripts run for each "package" which was started.

Personally I used to prefer the /etc/rc-style startup due to it's
apparent simplicity, but I can see why init.d makes for better
modularity, better robustness and better drop-in installation of
new packages, while still maintaining reasonable simplicity.  I'd
say: go for it!

The /etc/rc die-hards can either have a single S00rc in their
init.d directory pointing to /etc/rc, or we could possibly have a
test for /etc/rc existence in /sbin/init (but that bloats
/sbin/init, which I think we could do better without...).

- Havard