Subject: Re: sdremap.c
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Per Fogelstrom <pefo@enea.se>
List: current-users
Date: 04/02/1996 13:02:49

> I remember a time ago when you [Phil] needed a program to remap a bad block
> on a SCSI disk on www.netbsd.org ... Well, I had forgotten about it until
> just now ... I wrote a program to do just this for a friend of mine who
> is running 1.1 on a PC, just last week...
>
> It's a quick hack, so don't laugh, but just in case anyone might find it
> useful in the future ... it appeared to work on Andy's PC, so...
>
> It needs some frobbing to work under -current (SCSI structure changes)...
>
> Share and enjoy...

Great job!

Just a thought though. I experienced the same problem (bad blocks) on a
disk a while ago (the disk had a headcrash later on so it was probably
the beginning of that which caused the bad blocks). However i found an
ioctl function in the scsi driver that i could use. It's not enabled
normally but i hacked in the requiered ioctl define, inventing a little :-).

It worked very well too. And no! My code didn't destroyed the disk :-) :-)

-- Per