Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jim Wise <jim@santafe.arch.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/1996 23:32:33
At 2:05 PM 3/30/96, Greg Hudson wrote:

>Look, either address all the arguments we made in the previous round
>of discussion (/etc/init.d is messy, difficult to understand, uses
>alphabetical ordering of symlink names in a manner resembling BASIC
>GOTO statements to store configuration information, and does this all
>to simplify exactly one operation, when there are plenty of other,
>better ways to do that), or don't ressurect the argument at all.

Or, to put it slightly differently, /etc/init.d provides proper modularity
of unrelated operations which under etc/rc* are lumped together into a
confusing mush, allows easy and more reliable addition/removal of
application and system packages, allows easier integration of changes to
the boot process even when local modifications are present, and when
combined with an implementation of init which is truly general-purpose
instead of having its states hardwired, provides administrators with a
_much_ higher degree of flexibility.

But then, its all in how you look at it...

                                Jim Wise
                                System Administrator
                                Columbia University GSAPP
                                jim@santafe.arch.columbia.edu