Subject: Problem with NetBSD nfs server or SunOS client ?
To: Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@sci.fi>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1996 22:39:49
>>>>> "Valtteri" == Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@sci.fi> writes:

Valtteri>  There appears to be a problem with either the NetBSD nfs
Valtteri> server or the SunOS 4.1.3_u1 nfs client relating to unix
Valtteri> domain sockets. The effect is that on the SunOS machine,
Valtteri> syslog() doesn't work because it tries to use a unix domain
Valtteri> socket in an nfs mounted directory. This is what happens
Valtteri> when it tries to use /dev/log (trace from logger, though the
Valtteri> same happens with my test program):

	I know that I can't provide the definitive answer here, but
from what I remember, 'dnet' (a crude 'networking' (note quotes) that
ran between UN*X and Amigas) used unix-domain sockets for the UN*X
side of it's communication.

	Anyways, to make a long story short, it stated right in the
README that you couldn't have a unix domain socket on an nfs mounted
directory.  It went on further to say that you then needed network
domain sockets, but that support for that was too much work for the
author.

	I remember this because my old university account always
printed a message from my .logout 'deleting dnetdir' which assured me
that the directories were being successfully purged from /tmp (the
only local drive on the machines we worked on).

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |