Subject: Re: buslogic/adaptec conflicts
To: John F. Woods <jfw@FunHouse.com>
From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1996 11:57:36
Before this gets out of hand....

My apologies to Charles. I mean no malice in my statement.

I don't disagree with any of the points about the merits (or lack thereof)
of the "PC" architecture that many respondants have pointed out. However
it cannot be denied that it is a price/performance value with readily
available parts.

After having spent the last couple of weeks evaluating FreeBSD
vs. NetBSD for a project I am starting, I can't help but be frustrated
by the following findings.

1. The NetBSD code base is the cleanest available. I've suspected
   and benefited from this for a number of years largely due to Charles'
   and others work to maintain this.

2. NetBSD has a very hard time running on anything but well behaved
   hardware. My experience with IDE and the floppy driver during this
   evaluation are testimony to that.

3. FreeBSD *will* run on this less than perfect hardware.

It's my concern that the attitude that "the PC sucks" prevents
things like bounce buffers and other useful features from being
included in this very clean source tree.