Subject: Re: buslogic/adaptec conflicts
To: None <mycroft@mit.edu, randy@zyzzyva.com>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1996 11:16:42
>As Charles put it:

>> Just another reason that PCs suck...

>That comment, coming from the "Portmaster" of the i386, is reason
>enough to find another OS.

Oh, come on.  According to the legends of our people, Intel asks potential
new hires what they think of the 386, and refuses to hire people who like
it.

If I had an 80x86 system, I'd be a lot happier if the portmaster were
aware of the fundemental misdesign of the system, and wasn't trying to
pretend otherwise.  They *do* suck.  The reason we use things like NetBSD,
FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris, et al. is that they manage to *hide* most of the
ways in which the PC design sucks.  Admittedly, it would be great if it
could be more hidden in this case, but that takes time and effort, above
and beyond what's already going into this project.

-s