Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1996 09:48:54

   >i agree with this. how about you just ask the user at
   >install time if they want "system V init.d" or "bsd /etc/rc"
   >(or something..).  if they choose bsd, then you get what we
   >currently use.  if they choose sysV, /etc/rc does the job of
   >running the things in /etc/init.d for you.

   No no no...  I think:

   	1)  the system always uses /etc/rc.d out of the box, and
   	2)  those who modify this behavior do so at their own risk
   	    and knowledge that packages will likely not install
   	    correctly for them.

   (2) isn't a problem.  For those who don't mind munging around in
   /etc/rc.local binary releases aren't usually used anyhow.  For the
   vast majority of the public who just want a working Unix (and who
   haven't already given up on us and installed linux or freebsd, and who
   know we exist, and...) (1) will give them what they want with a
   minimum of effort on their part.

you're missing the point that some people _DON'T_ want the
init.d stuff _at all_.  i believe that my proposal allows
both people to `do what they want'.  i don't agree with
you about your second point. it _IS_ a problem.  how do
you _know_ what people don't mind ``munging'' around in
/etc/rc.local use ?

in the case where, say, a user wants the `bsd' method.  he
then realises he _can_ use packages, by using the `sysV'
method, implimented in rc or rc.local, where ever you happen
to want it (perhaps at the start or end of rc.local).

.mrg.