Subject: Re: dig not working?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1996 09:27:17
matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> writes
>just a note:  i had the same problem when i compiled the bind
>4.9.3-beta17 dig (which is 2.1, too, i think) a while ago.

my copy seems to be working fine - that's dig 2.1 from bind-4.9.3 brought
into NetBSD 1.1/i386 and built using the shres script. Apart from my own
usage, DOC (Domain Obscenity Checker) from bind/contrib seems to find it
OK. It's a pity DOC wasn't brought in to current because we should be
encouraging people to *check* their dns zone delegation for mistakes.
There's too much rubbish in the dns precisely because there is no culture
of verifying dns setup.

On the other hand the NetBSD 1.1 ping only works for me with IP addresses,
so there's some problem for it to access the resolver. I'd probably have to
rebuild it.

cheers,
Danny Thomas  <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au>