Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1996 09:11:55
>i agree with this. how about you just ask the user at
>install time if they want "system V init.d" or "bsd /etc/rc"
>(or something..).  if they choose bsd, then you get what we
>currently use.  if they choose sysV, /etc/rc does the job of
>running the things in /etc/init.d for you.

No no no...  I think:

	1)  the system always uses /etc/rc.d out of the box, and
	2)  those who modify this behavior do so at their own risk
	    and knowledge that packages will likely not install
	    correctly for them.

(2) isn't a problem.  For those who don't mind munging around in
/etc/rc.local binary releases aren't usually used anyhow.  For the
vast majority of the public who just want a working Unix (and who
haven't already given up on us and installed linux or freebsd, and who
know we exist, and...) (1) will give them what they want with a
minimum of effort on their part.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!