Subject: Two-way demand dial PPP
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1996 01:12:05
So, I've got the demand-dial PPP up and running.  It's working great,
no problems.

I'd like my setup to be a two-way demand dial system.  The system on
my remote side supports demand-dial PPP as well, so that's not a problem.
But it seems to me that if I run a demand-dial pppd on my side, I can't
run one upon login, since two active ppp interfaces to the same place
ought to break _something_ (but I haven't actually tried this).

So, I'm wondering -

- Am I missing something, or is it not possible to do two-way demand dial
  with the current pppd?

- Anyone else try to get this working?

It looks like it wouldn't be too hard to add.  It looks easy enough to make
pppd trap a SIGUSR1, and if it got such a signal to "wake up" from demand
dial state, open the tty device like normal, but skip the connect script
and just go right to the LCP negotiation.  Of course, I'll have to have
some sort of program to manage the modem lines, but I think I have that
figured out.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

--Ken