Subject: Re: Advice wanted from Sun users please (fwd)
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
From: None <kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1996 13:50:48

> >> Sun3/60 are indeed slow.  But they work nicely as X display
> >> servers.  And they handling clock chipping quite nicely! :-) I just
> >> up graded mine from 20 MHz to 25 Mhz.  Now I need to find a 30 MHz
> >> clock and try that...  :) Sorry, but I just had to share.  Clock
> >> chipping out machines is pretty neat.
>
> Michael> I once completely ruined a 286 motherboard attempting this.
> Michael> I hope you're not unsoldering parts. :-)
>
> 	There is a reason that he may succeed where you failed.  The
> motorola chip have much, much higher tolerances for this type of
> hackery.  If you're lucky and have a big heatsink, you can find
> motorola chips that can be overclocked 50% or more.  With intel chips,
> I've rarely heard of clock increases of more that 10-15% being
> successful.

Don't overclock a 68030.

When the 25MHz 68030 chips came out on accelerator cards for the Amiga,
some companies wanted to come out with a 28Mhz version. Just to be
3mhz faster, you know. This looks neat on paper.

The problem is, if you overclock that chip by the 3mhz, the math starts
to go. You get strange low level math errors.

Overclocking systems is not really a good idea. It's nice to have the
extra speed, but you go outside the boundries of what the machine was
designed to do. This can get hairy, depending on the board and chips.

Oh, and my 3/60 gets pissed if you heat the machine up, like if the
fan is clogged up and it overheats. It crashes, so be careful with
the heat on your overclocked machines.

XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore CSC/CPE     kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu
XCOMM North Carolina State University      kevinneal@bix.com