Subject: Re: /etc/daily and /scratch
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1996 08:28:32
> I don't know.  I haven't heard any clear direction from core - indeed,
> from anyone - on this matter.  I'd like to know, if anyone can say,
> what the intended target audience for NetBSD is.

I don't think it's clearly defined.  Most people currently see it as a
research system, I think, but there is some nodding toward better "click
and drool" support because that's where a lot of users live and a large
user base means better development support in terms of available resources.

I sincerely hope that the installation and upgrade of the system does
get easier--if only to cut down on the number of questions that people
ask on the lists.  But it's not only that.  I'd like people to use
NetBSD and if people get turned off by the installation or upgrade
procedures, then they'll not be using it.

I consider good installation and upgrade procedures and support to be
largely PR.  It's usually the first impression that a new user has of
the system--in many cases, the only impression.  I know that your
argument is, "Big deal, we probably don't want those users, anyway."
Well, I think we want at least some of them.  But this may very well
be a religious issue...  It might even be something that core hasn't
worked out entirely.  You may be safe, though, as I know that I, at
least, do consider installation tools near the bottom of my to-do
list, despite what I say above.

-allen

--
  Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **