Subject: Re: Putting tapes in varblock mode
To: John F. Woods <jfw@funhouse.com>
From: Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@CSE.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1996 09:31:55
In message <199603290251.VAA07902@jfwhome.funhouse.com>, "John F. Woods" writes
:
>> I read a tech doc over at www.austin.ibm.com and they have info on how to
>> deal with scsi tapes, etc... it's a pretty decent document.
>> They mention most tape drives can be put in either fixed-block or
>> variable-block modes.... is this true, and if so, how do I know which
>> mode NetBSD is using?  Can it be changed?
>
>This is IBM you're talking about.  They probably figure that half-inch
>800BPI reel-to-reel tape drives still dominate the earth.

IBM's probably refering to 8mm drives, all of the RS/6000 AIX boxen have a
"fixed" and "variable" length block size options when you configure the
devices.  It can be a real pain when you want to exchange tapes with an HP or a
Sun. 8-)

>I'm pretty sure none of the QIC standards permit anything other than 512
>bytes per block.
Jeremy C. McDermond					mcdermj@xenotropic.com
Xenotropic Imaging Systems