Subject: Re: 2940 & netbsd-current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Amir Y. Rosenblatt <amir@garpac.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/28/1996 18:43:46
On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, Greg Earle wrote:

> Uh, are there more than one Adaptec 2940's out there?  (Other than the 2940W
> Fast/Wide appelation, that is)

There's the 2940UW and I think there's one that specifically does
differential SCSI as well.  I have a 2940W.  I'm installing a machine
tommorow -- either NetBSD or FreeBSD.  I'm making install tapes and
floppies for both -- not sure yet which I'll use (I've been leaning
towards Free becasue of these issues with the 2940 drivers, but if they
work fine then I'll prolly do Net.).  Regardless of which one I choose,
I'll attempt a NetBSD install and upgrade to -current just to see how it
works and will post my results.

> All I know is that this sucker *screams* and I've had *no* problems whatsoever
> that could be remotely considered disk-related ... certainly nothing like our
> friend from Hong Kong is suffering through ...
>
> (Two 2.1 Gb SCSI disks, a Pioneer DRM-640 6-CD jukebox changer, and an Exabyte
>   EXB-8200 on the SCSI bus)

Hmm...I'm gonna be starting off with a Baraccuda (Seagate ST3255WC) and
adding a second one next week, along with an HP JetStore 8 gig DAT drive
and at some point a random cd-rom drive.  Might even try my hand at using
ccd to do disk striping.  I expect this sucker to fly.

> As the saying goes, "Works great for me in my office",

Hah.  Too true.

	-Amir