Subject: Re: Putting tapes in varblock mode
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 03/28/1996 18:41:03
>They mention most tape drives can be put in either fixed-block or
>variable-block modes.... is this true, and if so, how do I know which
>mode NetBSD is using?  Can it be changed?

>From when I last looked at the 1.1 code for st.c, it essentially tried
to use variable, unless the drive couldn't - then it picked fixed.  But
entries in the quirk table could override that.  But I could have read
that wrong.

>I keep having to look up i386/isa/fd.c to remember which floppy device
>is which size/density :)

The good rule of thumb is that the first device is always the highest
supported density that the drive got probed at.  Since that's what you use
most of the time, you can almost always get away with just using the first
device.

--Ken