Subject: Re: another 1.1 to 1.1B (i386) upgrade report...
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/1996 16:39:42
[ On Wed, March 27, 1996 at 15:06:59 (-0600), Scott Reynolds wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: another 1.1 to 1.1B (i386) upgrade report...
>
> I don't consider it a big sacrifice to have to download the binary release
> to move from version X to version Y... even over my straight V.32 modem at
> home.  It takes a few hours, but then, it always has, and is a _lot_
> faster than getting and compiling the source.  Note that I avoid local
> hacks wherever possible on my production machines, so this method isn't
> really a problem.

Indeed, so why would you ever compile the source on such machines in the
first place?

> Please, don't think I'm discouraging work on some sort of build
> script/target/document that does an upgrade from an individual release to
> the succeeding release.  I just can't see it getting very high up on the
> list of priorities of the people who would be expected to look at it.

It's my expectation the source upgrade problem is a subset of the
cross-compilation problem, and that once the latter has been solved,
there will be no trouble with doing source upgrades....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods