Subject: Re: another 1.1 to 1.1B (i386) upgrade report...
To: None <woods@most.weird.com>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/1996 01:20:32
> I've just upgraded another i386 machine starting with a 1.1 base release
> and a sup'ed source tree as of March 22 07:37 GMT.
> 2. some new makefile uses 'tsort -q', which seems to be a new flag for
> tsort, so:
>
> 	cd /usr/src/usr.bin/tsort
> 	make install
> 	cd /usr/src
> 	make build
>
> 3. libg++ won't build (needs new gcc, which needs new yacc) [you really
> only need to run 'make install' in gnu/usr.bin/gcc twice, but I wanted
> to re-build the new compiler with itself]:
>
> 	cd /usr/src/usr.bin/yacc
> 	make install
> 	cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc
> 	make install && make install && make cleandir && make install
> 	cd /usr/src
> 	make build
>
> 4. groff fails to build because of -Werror.  No doubt there's an easier
> way to do this:

[... changes to groff .cc files ... ]

> 5. ln fails to install due to a very weird shell bug (it fails when
> called by make, but works OK when typed on the command line).  The
> failed command and error message are:
>
> install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444 symlink.cat7 /usr/share/man/catsymlink.cat7/s
ymlink.0
> install: /usr/share/man/catsymlink.cat7/symlink.0: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Re-install /bin/sh (which indeed fixes the above) and start again:
>
> 	cd /usr/src/bin/sh
> 	make install
> 	cd /usr/src
> 	make build
>
> Everthing is OK now -- including a very -current kernel!

I'm a bit puzzled by some of this.  I went to -current from 1.1 about 3 weeks
ago and ran into different problems that I would have expected you would have
also run into.

To wit:
(1) /usr/src/share/mk had to be "make install"ed first or else the man9
    man pages installation would fail

(2) Many of the things in /usr/src/domestic were really unhappy until/unless
    the -current versions of libtelnet.so, libcrypt.so etc. were already built
    and installed

I know there were a few others (having to build the new gcc 2.7.2 first, etc.)
but I've forgotten them at the moment ...

	- Greg