Subject: Re: /etc/daily and /scratch
To: David Jones <dej@achilles.net>
From: Jason Downs <downsj@teeny.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/1996 04:16:28
In message <m0u1QRR-00064OC@dragon.achilles.net>,
	David Jones writes:
>> NetBSD philosophy (or at least that of one tiny script) seems to
>> disagree with you and treats /scratch in an identical manner to /tmp.
>>
>> > I should remind you, /scratch _WASN'T LOCAL_ - it was NFS mounted!
>>
>> On this point we can certainly agree.  I would normally consider
>> /scratch to be storage which could be shared, and as thus only the
>> server should be cleaning it on a regular basis.
>
>Let's assume that we all agree that /scratch is material of a transient
>nature.  The real problem is that the NetBSD core team imposed an
>undocumented policy that overrides whatever policy might have been
>in place.

I should think that blaming NetBSD's core team is a bit uncalled for.
They just left something in that had been around for a very long time-
I believe since at least Net/2...

Yes, from Net/2's /etc/daily:

if [ -d /scratch ]; then
        cd /scratch && {
        find . ! -name . -atime +1 -exec rm -f -- {} \;
        find . ! -name . -type d -mtime +1 -exec rmdir -- {} \; \
            >/dev/null 2>&1; }
fi

So I'd suggest you blame UCB for propogating their local policies on
unsuspecting net.citizens.  NetBSD just failed to comment it out in a timely
manner.  (I believe they have, now, based on CVS commit messages.)

--
Jason Downs
downsj@teeny.org  --> teeny.org: Free Software for a Free Internet <--

			  Big Brother... Just say No.
	      No to unlimited wiretaps.  No to enforced `decency'.