Subject: Re: /etc/daily and /scratch
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@vitruvius.arbld.unimelb.edu.au>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/25/1996 12:44:53
[ On Sat, March 23, 1996 at 02:40:11 (+1000), Darren Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /etc/daily and /scratch
>
> I prefer to think of /scratch not being backed up but persisting across
> reboots.  Most other sites I know of which support a "/scratch" have used
> this philosophy.

NetBSD philosophy (or at least that of one tiny script) seems to
disagree with you and treats /scratch in an identical manner to /tmp.

> I should remind you, /scratch _WASN'T LOCAL_ - it was NFS mounted!

On this point we can certainly agree.  I would normally consider
/scratch to be storage which could be shared, and as thus only the
server should be cleaning it on a regular basis.

On the other hand, for diskless machines, cleaning /tmp when it's an NFS
mount point is still a general requirement, so you could argue that for
the general case /scratch should maybe be treated the same.

Personally I'd like to see both /scratch and /etc/daily (and any other
similar scripts) documented somewhere.  If I find the time I'll attempt
to write and send-pr some manual pages....

> As far as I'm concerned, NetBSD should _NOT_ have touched it.

It's a tiny change to one small script to fix it!  ;-)

Sorry, but hindsight is indeed much better, eh?  Documentation would
indeed help reduce the surprise factor and the need for hindsight.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>