Subject: Adaptec 7870, netbsd-current (3/17/96)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, current-users@NetBSD.ORG, explorer@iastate.edu>
From: Mika Nystrom <mika@cs.caltech.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/1996 21:05:03
Hello,
  First of all let me apologize to people who receive this message two
(or more) times.
  Here's a problem I have run into. I just had delivered an Intel
server system, P133, 64 MB EDO, two hot-swappable 2 GB SCSI disks
that is intended as a fileserver for a cluster of 24 P120's, all running
NetBSD of course. Booting the system works fine, except for the "minor"
snag that the SCSI is nowhere to be seen.. Here are the symptoms:

The motherboard has two Adaptec AIC-7870P chips clearly visible on it.
When the kernel boots up, it finds the pci, eisa, and isa buses (in that
order), and proceeds to print messages to the effect that there are three
unknown devices on the pci bus (plus ep1, the 3c595 ethernet card), one
of which is a bridge, another of which seems to be the pci/eisa bridge
(ids:8086/0482 pci0 dev 14) and the last of which is completely unknown
(ids:8086/0008 pci0 dev 15), but the vendorid suggests that it is an Intel
card of some kind. Nothing else.

The next step is the eisa probing. The system finds:

ADP7870 at eisa0 slot 15 not configured
INT3130 at eisa0 slot 13 not configured

And that's the end of any hint that we have SCSI. (Btw, SCSI works fine
with Windows NT, which boots happily from the disks.) I tried all "simple"
hacks I could think of.. adding the 7870 to eisadevs, deleting the eisa bus
from the kernel entirely (no other eisa things.. this just makes it not
recognize anything). It was suggested that I add the pci identification to
pcidevs for the Adaptec, but as an Intel device?? Hmm..

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

  Regards,
    Mika Nystrom <mika@vlsi.cs.caltech.edu>
    Department of Computer Science