Subject: Re: Problems with X on new current kernels
To: None <kgor@ksg.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/21/1996 13:31:15
>Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 21:47:31 -0600 (CST)
>From: "Kent S. Gordon" <kgor@ksg.com>
>
>I have had a problem with getting XFree 3.1.2 working with new
>-current kernels.  When I invoke xinit from a shell by exec xinit.  It
>looks like X is starting, the screen changes to blank , then it dies
>an a login prompt returns.  Any ideas?  The last kernel that I
>compiled that worked was on March 3, so it probably was a from a
>-current of a couple of days earlier than that.  My system is a
>	i486/66 VL-BUS
>	16 Megs RAM
>	BusLogic 445 SCSI Controller
>	NE2000 clone
>	Mach 32 VL video card
>	a couple of SCSI disks, tape drive, cd-rom.

Your system is very similar to mine (486/66 w/ 16M, BT445C, Mach 32
VLB), and I have no such problem.  I would recommend starting X like
so:

% startx >& startx.log

Then, if theres anything wrong with your XConfig file, the error
message will show up in startx.log.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>