Subject: Here comes the Suns
To: 'Current Users' <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Davyd Norris <Davyd.Norris@fcollins.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/21/1996 18:30:45
Hi all,

First of all, let me say thank you to all the people who replied to my =
mail - it's great to get so much friendly advice.  I will
no doubt be talking to some or all of you *very* soon now :) about =
setting these things up.

For all of you out there who are listening in on the conversations, and =
before I take this discussion into a more private
forum, I picked up the machines today.  Here is what I have:

4 Sun 3/60 pizza boxes
4 keyboards
4 optical mice
4 optical mice mats (good idea, they hate neoprene, but play CD's well =
:-0 )
1 19" monitor with VD HD G R B (there are also int. ext sync switches, =
and 75ohm switches)

I have taken one apart and I assume they are all the same, but can't be =
sure.  Here are the stats:

Motorola 68020 and 68888 processors (they were CAD stations, so I got =
FPUs !!)
No RAM but 24 slots in banks of 4 - these are marked with $M,*m etc. and =
jumpers corresponding, as well as EXTHDX(??) and HIRES
Graphics card on top of main board above SCSI-I external connector with =
S B G R
Card has following markings:
	3/60 Color Frame Buffer - PCB etched
	-06 REV 50			- written in black
Ramdac has:
	Bt458KG110
	    RAMDAC
	98 8752 B

That's it.  I hope that answers the flame wars over 24bit - I don't =
think it looks 24 bit to me, and when I picked them up, they were not as
sure as they were over the phone, but a box is a box is a box...

Now the hairy bit.  I put 8x1Meg SIMMs from a PC into the box.  These =
looked two different types in 4x2 lots, so I grouped them.  Does
parity count on the Suns?  I plugged everything in and put a t-piece =
terminator on the Ethernet, stood back and fired up. NADA. Except
for a fan.  I half expected *some* screen activity but I don't know if I =
got the sync line on the right connector, or the switches right.  I also
noticed some diagnostic leds on the back, and a switch that can be set =
to norm or diag, so I played with that, but the LEDs do the same
thing each way.  They seem to be counting singly from right to left, =
then the first (left) led and the last three stay on.

My question is:  any ideas? Is this one broken?  Does anyone know the =
diagnostic led sequence?

My other question is: Can I set up my existing -current x86 box as a =
bootp server, and drop a Sun3 NetBSD kernel  onto it, and then
get the x86 box to serve it up to the Sun to see if it will boot?  =
Apparently it has boot PROMS in the I/F.

Any help appreciated as usual.

Dave