Subject: Re: panic: ptdi %x
To: Erik M. Theisen <etheisen@teclink.net>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1996 10:32:42
>>I might be way off-base here, but would it make sense to have the kernel
>>image accessible from /kern/image (for example)?
>
>This would/could be useful.  But if there was a way to determine
>the loaded image name, then ps, w, etc. would have access to it as
>well.  Your idea would keep the utils from having to grok the
>location, and as such I like it, sounds like a wonderful idea. :)

It does, but there's one big snag.  How do you deal with setups like diskless
booting of workstations?

Perhaps the real solution is to make the kernel symbol table available in
kernel memory somehow, since that's what you're really interested in.  If
you did that, then you could make it so LKM's could add their symbols to
the table as well, so you could debug them with DDB.  But that also has it's
drawbacks.

--Ken