Subject: Re: sup with '-z'
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1996 15:56:56
Hi,

> Scott Reynolds writes:
>
> Actually, it would seem to me that a "magic bit sequence" could occur
> in most any data stream, be it compressed or not. But for any given piece

Hmm, I beg to differ: That depends highly on the magic bit pattern.
If the bit pattern is a hugh number of the same byte, then it is unlikely to
occur in compressed data, because when compressing data, these values 'dissapear'.
They are compressed. (The failures shown here were caused by sending a lot of
0 or FFs over the line, which would compress fine :-)

therefore transferring compressed data is probably less likely to fail
as backed by the experience of some people who posted here.

  Guenther

P.S.: Always be careful when you use mathematiks and especially statistics.
You can prove everything with it, if you want to :-)