Subject: Re: PPP - address already in use
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1996 09:46:45
> > Mar 19 08:23:41 muikku pppd[23397]: remote IP address 193.185.236.55
> > Mar 19 08:23:41 muikku pppd[23397]: ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR): Address already exists
> > Mar 19 08:23:41 muikku pppd[23397]: add proxy arp entry: File exists
>
> This is a nasty problem that has haunted us for a while now.  My
> workaround is to publish permanent arp entries for all IPs that I do
> proxy for, at boot time (I hacked /etc/netstart to do this).

Yeah, I guess this would be a simple solution, but..

How is the proxy arp system supposed to work? ;-)  I would think it was
created for this kind of dynamic connections?  And now it seems it can't
be used for PPP very well.

Some people suggested using ip-down to delete the route, but like some
others have noticed, the route may reappear if someone is still sending
packets to the address.

I think we should have a) another ip-up script that gets run _before_ the
PPP link is established or b) an option to tell pppd to delete the route
if it already exists.

Are there any better solutions?  I guess I'll have to create permanent
routes until some other way is implemented.  Our users are complaining
about problems with PPP which are caused by the existing routes, AFAIK.

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---