Subject: Advice wanted from Sun users please
To: 'current-users@NetBSD.ORG' <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Davyd Norris <Davyd.Norris@fcollins.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1996 11:52:38
Hi all,

I have just been given four Sun 3/60 boxes sans disks and RAM, but with nice 24 bit graphics cards and 19"monitors.
Since I am a NetBSD x86 kinda guy and the only Sun stuff I have touched previously  are Sparcs running Solaris and
SunOS (not too sure about that either - I've really used all *but* Sun stuff for some reason, no bias intended), I was
looking for some advice from those NetBSD-current Sun users out there.

Basically, I was looking for advice on:

1.  Hardware.  I have heard that these things run about as fast as a fast 486 - true?  What RAM is required to run NetBSD
	reasonably well, bearing in mind that I have to fill four machines on no money.  What is the absolute minimum RAM?
	What about HDDs?  They have SCSI-I cards in them, so what size and type of disk should I get?  I want X11 and decent
	userland real estate for playing :)

2.  Software.  There is currently zip on these babies, so how do I go about installing NetBSD?  Can I newfs the disks using
	my existing x86 box and copy a sun 1.1 distribution system and -current sources on to it, them wop them into the sun
boxes?  Is this a little overoptimistic?  Do I need a floppy drive and bootable image? (if I had one of those then I could ftp
the stuff over to the new boxes.)

Any help at all from you sun gurus would be very much appreciated.

Dave.