Subject: Re: PPP - address already in use
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi>
From: Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1996 15:49:10
In message <199603191737.TAA22792@teeri.jmp.fi>, jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi writes:
>Hiya,
>
>I often see this in syslog:
>
>Mar 19 08:23:41 muikku pppd[23397]: remote IP address 193.185.236.55
>Mar 19 08:23:41 muikku pppd[23397]: ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR): Address already exists
>Mar 19 08:23:41 muikku pppd[23397]: add proxy arp entry: File exists
>
>This happens when the previous route to the PPP address hasn't been deleted
>before a new connection is initiated.  The old route remains alive for long
>periods of time if there is some machine in Internet sending packets to the
>PPP address after the connection is terminated (my WWW cache did this today
>and the use couldn't restart PPP again because of the "address already
>exists" error).
>
>I was going to add 'arp -d' in /etc/ppp/ip-up to delete the old route before
>PPP starts, but I noticed that the script is run _after_ the new PPP link
>is established, not _before_.
>
>Is anyone else seeing this problem?  If so, is there any simple fix to the
>problem?  Maybe a new option to pppd to delete the old route, if one exists?

  I too have been seeing this problem for some actually.  My
not-caring-enough-to-solve-the-problem method of getting around it was
to first log into the machine remove the entry from the routing table
then then start ppp.  I assumed that this was a problem unique to me...
"glad" to hear that others have simular problems.

---
Kent Vander Velden
graphix@iastate.edu