Subject: Re: sup with '-z'
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1996 11:28:18
Scott Reynolds writes:

>On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Andrew Gillham wrote:

>> FYI, for those that might still be having sup problems,
>> I've been using compression with sup for months and don't
>> see the problem.  I _was_ seeing before I enabled compression
>> though.  I guess I can't say 100% that the '-z' avoids the
>> problem, without testing it again, but I can sup.. :)

>This isn't surprising.  Compressing will change the point in the data
>streem where the "magic bit sequence" goes across the connection (and
>possibly eliminate it :-).

>--scott

Actually, it would seem to me that a "magic bit sequence" could occur
in most any data stream, be it compressed or not. But for any given piece
of data, the probabilities of it existing in the raw data versus the
probabilities of it existing in the compressed version should be almost
completely disjoint. That is to say, if it exists in either, it is very
likely that it doesn't exist in both.

What I'm trying to say is that perhaps for a given amount of sup data,
one may work and the other may not. If the one you try first fails, try
it the other way.

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group