Subject: PRoblems with yp and pwd_mkdb
To: Current-users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1996 15:10:48
Since a few months I have been unable to generate new /etc/spwd.db and
/etc/pwd.db. Whenever I use a command that rewrites these files by
calling pwd_mkdb (vipw, passwd etc) the files produced will not pull in
yp support correctly.

Forward lookups seem to work correctly, but the reverse will not, i.e.
typing 'ls -l ~david' returns all files as owned by 1207, not by david.
If I replace the earlier files everything works as usual again.

This is getting somewhat annoying as I am unable to change the root
password. Is this a known problem? Does it have a workaround?

Peter