Subject: Re: M68K ports (was: Re: mips ports (was: pica port - when SGI ???))
To: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
From: Jason Downs <downsj@teeny.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/1996 18:16:20
In message <199603181705.MAA08330@paycheck.cygnus.com>,
	"Mark W. Eichin" writes:
>out of curiousity - does anyone have IBM RT's without FPU's? (There
>were three FPU's for the early model RT, but the only one that IBM
>kept shipping [and the only one that actually *worked* grr] was the
>68881 based one, if I recall correctly... so the m68k FPE might
>actually be useful there...)

Not to argue with your experiences, but my Advanced Floating Point Unit
has always performed dramatically better then the on-CPU card 68881.

Of course, I'm running AIX, have the fpu enabled in my kernel, and use
the floating point libraries for the system compiler if I want to bench
floating point.  GCC produces crap for floating point on the RT.

--
Jason Downs
downsj@teeny.org  --> teeny.org: Free Software for a Free Internet <--

			  Big Brother... Just say No.
	      No to unlimited wiretaps.  No to enforced `decency'.