Subject: m68k comman part (was Re: mips ports ...)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/1996 15:28:02
Hi Ken,

> > I don't think the m68k ports are doing this. Does anybody know why not?!
> > I see that someone on the MAcC port is trying to get FPU emulation working,
> > but his integration work will only work on his port, not on the others.
>
> As the "someone" doing m68k FPE work, I feel obligated to point out
> that what you say here is simply incorrect.  In the early stage of
> m68k FPE development, I got a report at least one FPU-less Atari user
> was running a kernel with the FPE built-in.

Hmm, Yes, I agree with you, that the Mac and the Atari development are
coupled quite closly together from what I read on the src-changes list.
But the Amiga is the most common m68k-plattform in use for NetBSD and
it does NOT have any FPE emulation built in, i.e. it is not possible to
boot NetBSD on an Amiga without FPU. Thus your work is shared beween
Mac and Atari, but not the Amiga community. Therefore I was not wrong
or incorrect as you say :-)

> > I think the port masters of all the m68k ports should get together and
> > work the parts out, that could be shared between the ports. After all, this
> > is the area where NetBSD has it's biggest potential.
>
> Then, tell me, what's sys/arch/m68k for? 8-)

I agree qith you that some parts are shared between the ports, but there
are a lot more things which the ports have in common, for example some
of the device drivers. I seecomments on the src-changes list like
Mac: taken 5380-driver from Amiga and modified ...
Atari: taken 5380-driver from Mac and modified ...
Mac: Using MI-5380-driver now ...
Amiga: Modified 5380 driver ...

In pratice all ports should be using the MI-5380-code, but only some
of them are actually doing so :-( I'd really like this development
more coordinated and I'd like your code living in /sys/arch/m68k and
being used in all m68k-ports, really! :-)

Thanx for responding and keep up the great work :-)

  Guenther