Subject: M68K ports (was: Re: mips ports (was: pica port - when SGI ???))
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/1996 09:34:20
Guenther Grau (s_grau@ira.uka.de) wrote:
: > Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org> writes:
: > ...
: > can begin looking at it. Has anyone else worked on this? Are other
: > ports (e.g. 68k) doing this?

: I don't think the m68k ports are doing this. Does anybody know why not?!

They do. Never noticed the /sys/arch/m68k directory subtree?

- kernel library assembler version routines are shared
- 68040 support code is shared
- 68060 support code will be shared (a-hemm)
- assembler version of bcopy is shared. (dont laugh, thats one of the most
  important, for a fast kernel, function :-)

I understand that the Atari port, which picked up the Amiga ports'
graphics design, shared the grfconfig or videomode program with us.

The FPE stuff is in the generic m68k directory, and it is "just" a
matter of providing the necessary stubs to integrate it into any port
not having it yet.

As for device drivers: with the recent config program and kernel
internals change, it will be much easier to share common driver parts
and only use architecture or bus dependant frontend stubs. This,
however, is not bounded by the CPU family used, but universal.

: I see that someone on the MAcC port is trying to get FPU emulation working,
: but his integration work will only work on his port, not on the others.

see above. No, its not that it is only integrated in Mac68k and Atari,
and wouldn't work with it. It won't be a big problem to integrate it
into the Amiga world. In fact, once I have the DraCo support advanced
enough to worry about the 68040 DraCo, I'll probably do it (the 040
DraCo uses the 68040V, which doesn't have an FPU (it should be named
M68LC040V).

: I think the port masters of all the m68k ports should get together and
: work the parts out, that could be shared between the ports. After all, this
: is the area where NetBSD has it's biggest potential.

Hm, no need to hurry them. After all, for most of them it is a hobby
project, and while code sharing is A Good Thing To Do, it is not as
important as haveing A Working Port At All, and Keeping Up With The 90%
of The Kernel That Are Already Shared --- between all ports, not only
the M68K ones.

Regards,
	Ignatios