Subject: README: changes to device autoconfiguration
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1996 18:35:07
I've just checked in a substantial set of changes to device
autoconfiguration.  Here's what it means to you:

	1. When you SUP (or whatever) these changes, you _must_
	   rebuild src/usr.sbin/config and install it _before_
	   building your kernel.

	2. When you do build your kernel, you _must_ re-run config
	   on your kernel config file, otherwise your kernel will
	   not compile.

These changes are substantial, and thus the NetBSD version has changed to
"NetBSD 1.1B".  I've compiled these on an i386 and a sparc, and have booted
the resulting kernels.  They work fine for me.

However, I could not test all ports, so there may be some mistakes!  (I'd
be rather surprised if there weren't...)  If you encounter problems,
please use send-pr to file a bug report on it ASAP, and I will fix it
as quickly as possible.  If you have questions, you may contact me directly,
though it would be nice to keep this discussion on current-users to
keep folks informed of "gotchas".

Chris Demetriou submitted the changes to config(8) and kern/subr_autoconf.c,
and converted many of the i386 drivers.  Hats off to him.  (I'm glad it
wasn't I who had to get elbows-deep in config.. :-)

These changes have been needed for a long time, and with the other
changes to autoconfiguration that have been happening, it was time to
bite the bullet.