Subject: Re: Getting GCC to compile....
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/1996 04:38:44
> I have spent the week-end bringing the system up to date (from 1.1,
> which was the last time I built).

I upgraded a PC from 1.1 to -current about a week or so ago.  (March 1st sup)
I'll add my US $0.02, in case it helps anyone contemplating same.

> I needed to do the following to get the system to build:
>
> cd /usr/src/*/tsort ; make ; make install
> cd /usr/src/*/yacc  ; make ; make install

These must be recent; I didn't have to do this.

> cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas ; make ; make install
> cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld  ; make ; make install

I don't remember having to do this either ...

> cd /usr/src/share/mk ; make install

Vitally important, or else the "make build" will puke on the .../man9 stuff.

> cd /usr/src/include  ; make install
> #
> # [ build pukes on libgcc ]
> (cd cc; make install)
> (cd cc1; make install)
> (cd cc1obj; make install)
> (cd cc1plus; make install)
> (cd cpp; make install)
> (cd g++; make install)
> (cd libgcc; make; make install)
> (cd libobjc; make; make install)
> cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc ; make install
> #

I took a slightly different tack.  I bit the bullet and did the new gcc
installation first.  That caused everything that got compiled with the newly
installed gcc to complain about libc.so.12.3 being older than the now-expected
libc.so.12.4, so I went to libc and "make ; make install" in there to fix
that.

Once I did that, the build was pretty smooth, but it fell over down in the
/usr/src/domestic stuff.  A lot of things were *really* unhappy (compile-wise)
because they all expected the new (i.e. -current instead of 1.1) libtelnet.so
to be installed (from the domestic area, not the mainline/international one).

I think there may have been one other step needed to make an entire
"make build" cruise through without errors but it's late ...

	- Greg