Subject: Re: Routed, anyone?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/1996 00:51:12
>> [Jules asks how to keep routed from timing out a route.]
>> [someone else - I forget who - says you don't want to run routed.]
>
>Mainly Neil J. McRae; also myself and Ken Horenstein.
>
>>> I'll come clean.
>>>
>>> I work freelance for my ISP, so I can do anything I like to their
>>> router.  It's just that the dynamic solution 'felt right'.  It meant,
>>> for one thing, I don't have to specify which machine I use to dial in from.
>>
>> It also means, it seems to me, that something unfortunate happened and
>> nobody seems to have noticed: you asked a reasonable question and
>> everybody ignored the question, instead attacking what you were doing.
>>
>> As if I said "when I compile this hash-table code, cc coredumps" and
>> everyone said "don't do that, you want to use a linked list instead of
>> a hash table".
>
>The difference is, it's more like as if Jules said "I have this fly problem
>in my house.  I keep bringing my pet elephant inside to stomp 'em, but he
>keeps missing."  Sometimes it's better to just recommend the flyswatter ...
>
>        - Greg

Well, it's a bit more like:

...and I notice he keeps missing incidentally, which is funny, 'cause he
was sold to me as an elephant-killer...

Sure, i'm convinced I don't want to run routed.  But it is still broken, or
badly documented.  I am beginning to think the answer is:

You don;t want to run routed, trust me.

If you *really* want to run routed, then you probably want to run gated, so
don't blame us if routed is broken.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |