Subject: Re: Routed, anyone?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/1996 07:48:07
[Jules asks how to keep routed from timing out a route.]
[someone else - I forget who - says you don't want to run routed.]
[Finally, Jules replies...]

> I'll come clean.

> I work freelance for my ISP, so I can do anything I like to their
> router.  It's just that the dynamic solution 'felt right'.  It meant,
> for one thing, I don't have to specify which machine I use to dial in
> from.

It also means, it seems to me, that something unfortunate happened and
nobody seems to have noticed: you asked a reasonable question and
everybody ignored the question, instead attacking what you were doing.

As if I said "when I compile this hash-table code, cc coredumps" and
everyone said "don't do that, you want to use a linked list instead of
a hash table".

Yes, I think running RIP over a dialup link is usually a bad idea.  But
I'm not prepared to excuse routed's being rude to your route just
because the particular reason you want to advertise it seems like a bad
idea to me.  (No, I don't know how to make routed do what you want.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu