Subject: Re: man pages again
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/1996 08:19:36
> Basically, the patch at the bottom of this file will change man such
> that if it has to format a page using any _build rule, it will try
> and work out what the corresponding cat directory is and save the
> formatted text there before displaying it.

You mean our man doesn't already do this?  Aak!  I'd call that an
outright bug, and it definitely deserves a PR!

> It will only do this if run as root, since by default only root has
> write permissions to these directories.

Um, why not just try to write the catfile and let it succeed or fail,
as the case may be?  I've seen places (non-NetBSD, obviously) with
/usr/man/cat* mode 666, places that trust their users to not
maliciously replace catfiles....

> I would appreciate any comments of any kind.

See above. :-)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu