Subject: Re: Status of JAVA port on NetBSD
To: None <johnh@david.wheaton.edu>
From: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/1996 23:53:36
> 1) Anyone working on NetBSD port for JAVA and if so what is the status.

If you saw Marc Horowitz' announcement (along with his indication that
you should *not* send him email about it) he's got a working port; I
think he's currently stuck on some of the changes in the new jdk
license though...

> 2) Which thread package would be best for JAVA under NetBSD?

Chris Provenzano's <proven@mit.edu> pthreads; see sipb.mit.edu:pub/pthreads.
(There's something to be said for porting the "green threads" package
to a given operating system -- "ewww" comes to mind :-)

> 3) How hard would it be to take the diffs for FreeBSD and change for
>   NetBSD.

I wasn't aware of a FreeBSD port; I may simply be uninformed... it
would depend on how that particular port had been written.