Subject: Re: xntpd writing to pram, not?
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: current-users
Date: 03/08/1996 14:39:10
> After getting xntpd running, I think, I have started to notice that it is
> sending messages to the console that read something like netbsd does not
> trust itself to write to pram ...

That's a mac68k-specific problem.  The mac clock is not keeping up with
the flow of real time (in Apple's infinite wisdom, they put the clock
tick on the lowest priority interrupt), so I've disabled the ability to
set the time-of-day clock in the PRAM.  That message is just there to
let you know that it's not writing to the PRAM.  I'd like to figure out
a way to let it update the PRAM when it's set from some reliable source,
but not on shutdown.  I've not looked into that, yet.

The problem was that for machines that aren't using ntp, the clock
would fall behind and then get updated on reboot to the MacOS so
that the MacOS time would be way wrong.

-allen

--
  Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **