Subject: Re: Routed, anyone?
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/1996 23:52:52
On Thu, 07 Mar 1996 10:05:17 +0000
 Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk> wrote:

> > different routes. Just put the routes in and leave them.
>
> Perhaps I misunderstand.  But surely if I don't run routed, then I'm not adve
rtising
> the routes.  And I want to advertise the routes, because I don't want to have
 to get
> the root password of my ISP's router, telnet in, and add a static route there
.

When you login to your ISP they should add the routeing for you. Asking
you to run RIP to announce your presance is instane. What routers are
they using? I've yet to hear of a router that can't add a route via
radius at login time.

> I have a sick mind ;-)

Your ISP sure has!

> > Yes, don't run it use static routes.
>
> Don't think this solves my problem....  But if you can tell me how it does...

What you want is to have routeing when you login correct? Fine. In that
case if no one else is using the IP addresses that you are using then nothing
changes, no updates are needed. The only change that might be needed to be
made is if you login to a different POP, in which case radius can deal
with this for you. Asumming your ISP has a decent redius server.

> > Exterior Gateway Protocol, more evil.
>
> You've really got a thing about dynamic routing, haven't you?  I thought dyna
mic
> routing was one of the really clever things about the internet.

It is then it needs to be. Routeing updates is what is killing the internet
at this time, Cisco's can't handle theses sort of updates in any
great quantity. NetBSD however can ;-) Demon, who I recently quit because
they are hiring idiots as managers, developed a cool little piece of code
called burp which handles even the fact that you might change pops. All
of this was made possible with NetBSD.

> Confused,

Hope you are less so now :-)

Neil
--
Neil J. McRae                                 DNS: Domino Network Services
neil@domino.org         NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)