Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/1996 09:53:26
Quoting Charles M. Hannum,

>    Actually, I thought about doing this in sys/nfs/nfs_vfsops itself, to
>    make old fstabs that only have rsize specified still work. If it is done
>    there, amd doesn't need to do it anymore I guess.

>    What do you think?

> I think it's bogus.  We should stick with historic practice here.
> Giving the user an option to change the readdir request size is good,
> but using it where we didn't before is asking for trouble.  There's no
> *need* for this change.

The need here would be that people sometimes need to specify a smaller
rsize, because of broken ethernet cards in client or server, or
some routing problem. When doing this, you also must set the readdir size
to a smaller value, otherwise things will still break.

Also, the behaviour as described above is the same as it used to be for v2
(where the rsize was used for readdir requests) and it doesn't change the
ability for people to change the readdirsize seperately.

To put it another way: what would be a situation in which you would _not_
want this behaviour?

- Frank