Subject: Funny tape drives
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/1996 12:36:29
Hi

All this talk about tape drives triggered a long lost interrupt;

I have a CMS QIC-02 tape drive - at LEAST I think it's QIC-2. It's got the
iddy-biddy ISA card that looks an awful lot like a Wangtek QIC-02 card,
but the best I can get out of the drive a measily 60MB - QIC-36 style.

I thought the drive was on the blink until I tried it as a QIC-36 under
GatesOS and it started to work.

Now, my question is: Since this drives *looks* like a 150MB drive what do
I have to tickle to make it work? I've got no
documentation/info/I-got-it-as-a-free-bee so I'm not to inclined to throw
money at it. :-)

While on the subject of tape drives... I on occasion pop a Mountain
FileSafe 1200 DAT drive (Wangtek DAT) on my SCSI controller to get the
latest sources etc. I need a quirk entry to make it work - the Frimware
revision number does not match the one in the quirk table - can I send-pr
this to be permanent?

I personally don't like the send-pr idea since this can lead to a big
quirk table... any more elegant ideas?

et
--
Ernst J. du Toit (TED5)           Internet: ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za
School of Electrical Engineering  BELTEL  : 175250 / Amateur Radio: ZR1ABB