Subject: Re: Do you use xntpd?
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/1996 23:42:55
>I'm trying to get a feel for how many people are actually using NTP with
>NetBSD; now that there's NTP support in the kernel, it would seem to me at
>least that if a significant fraction of NetBSD users are using NTP, it might b
>beneficial to include it in the source tree, but I need some data to back up
>this assertion.

I still use an old Ultrix (I think) NTP that I built in NetBSD-0.8
days, statically linked (of course).  I sync once a day with
UWashington (used to sync twice a day with IAState).  It's still
working fine for me.

	[michaelv@MindBender]~> ls -lF `which ntp`
	-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  72246 May  5  1993 /usr/sbin/ntp*
	[michaelv@MindBender]~> file `which ntp`
	/usr/sbin/ntp: 386BSD demand paged executable not stripped

I have no interest in time-syncing multiple machines with each other.
My only interest is to keep my machine(s) synced with an accurate
source.

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...