Subject: Re: Do you use xntpd?
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/1996 12:32:07
>Do you use xntpd on your NetBSD machines?

>All of them?  Most or many of them?

	Project Vincent here at ISU uses kerberos to authenticate many of
its services, including zephyr and afs. Kerberos requires that the clients
and server be within 5 minutes, and unfortunately, some of my machines have
a terrible tendency to drift. (My Gateway pentiums will gain 5 minutes in
a week and a half sometimes.)

	NTP happens to be the one service they provide for synchronization.

	So, for purposes of kerberos, afs, and zephyr, I run ntp on all
my machines.

>Do you consider NTP timekeeping a piece of 'core' OS functionality like BIND,
>which could be unbundled but oughtn't be?

	Well, from a "just the fax ma'am" perspective, time syncronization of
some sort is definitely required on any distributed network, for filesystems
and authentication. And IMHO a surprising number of sites are using ntp rather
than timed-implementations, because of the fact that timed is udp-broadcast
based (and is thus limited to local networks, requiring special configuration
on gateways and routers), and ntp is server-client based, and will also
work (well) over slow/long links.

	Again, IMHO.

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack               flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group