Subject: Re: Do you use xntpd?
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/1996 11:34:27
On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> Do you use xntpd on your NetBSD machines?

Some of them:  NFS servers and NFS clients where software development is
done.  The rest can run rdate occasionally.

> On a very large network where it would be a significant 'win' if you didn't
> have to roll xntpd into each new 'standard' distribution that you run on all of
> your machines?

I have no need to roll in anything; I copy my precompiled binaries from
the server that I keep such things on, along with dozens of other local
modifications to machines, at setup time.

> Would you find it useful is xntpd were included in NetBSD even if the version
> sometimes lagged slightly behind the version distributed separately?

Not particularly.  In fact, I like having a single stable version that
runs on all machines of a particular architecture/OS; it makes things
much easier to track down in the event of a problem.  In other words, I
am running 3.4k on all of my NetBSD machines, and I'd prefer to keep it
that way, since it's not broken.

> Do you consider NTP timekeeping a piece of 'core' OS functionality like BIND,
> which could be unbundled but oughtn't be?

No.

Scott Reynolds              Scott.Reynolds@plexus.com
System Administrator        #include <std/disclaimer.h>
Technology Group, Inc.      Neenah, WI, USA  54957-0677