Subject: Re: libgcc won't build (960210)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@beverly.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/1996 12:07:09
der Mouse (mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU) wrote:
: >>> /mnt/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/libgcc2.c:82: unknown machine mode `__word__'
: >> ok Jukka, cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc ; make install ; cd /usr/src ; make
: >> And everything should be fine.
: > NO!  Everything will *not* be fine!
:
: Why not?  That's essentially what I did, and it worked fine.  You have
: to ignore the error message produced when the make install pukes 'cause
: libgcc isn't yet built, but before it gets that far it installs enough
: to build the rest.

You have to "make clean" in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc, and start anew
after that, so that you build the new gcc with itself. (Always assuming
the new gcc performs better than the old, you would want to use the
stage2 compiler).

At least that is what I did yesterday on a -i386 machine.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis