Subject: Re: Tcl7.5 and NetBSD-current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/29/1996 21:52:39
> > Not only off_t is affected, but also size_t, pid_t, gid_t, uid_t etc.
>
> The C standard does not mention any of those except size_t, I think.
> Which standard are we talking here?  C, POSIX, something else?

IEEE Std 1003.1.

The "the C standard" doesn't exist, because there is not just one
C language. NetBSD obviously uses the GNU C language (not, as some
people seem to believe, the ANSI C language), which doesn't address
this kind of problem.

> > It's not guaranteed that any of those can be casted to int/u_int or
> > long/u_long.
>
> I think all of the ones you mention are required to be integer types of
> some sort, in which case they can be cast to any integer type.  (Unless
> you mean without loss of information, of course.)

Sure, I should have added "without loss of information".

Regards,
Waldi