Subject: Xbsd
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <kpneal@unity.ncsu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/29/1996 03:12:48
So, right now we have a different X server program for just about
every different platform & gfx card. Bleah.

One solution would be to make a generic X server that hits a
kernel device that makes up the DDX layer of the server.
Problems)
1) Big kernel, unless DDX is LKM.
1b) LKM devices? Mmmmmmmmmm, not right now.
2) Who is going to write all of the kernel support?

So how about this: having a generic X server that
has no DDX layer, but instead dld's the ddx.o file for
the gfx card specified in some config file or argument?

The DDX is set up as a struct with pointers to the functions
that do the work (methods to you C++ freeks out there ;).
Why not have the server load the .o and set a pointer to the
struct? I bet the server could easily be set up to have an
array of pointers to DDXs, for multi-headed support.

This seems like it would be the easiest. Xfree86 can write the DDX
layer for us, we take it and drop in different Makefiles, boom!
We have a machine independent Xserver with support for graphics
cards galore, and we don't even have to do alot of work to
make the cards work, it's done for us.

Ideas?

XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore CSC/CPE     kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu
XCOMM North Carolina State University      kevinneal@bix.com